Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
The ingredients are so simple but the flavors are spectacular! This is the best baked ziti I have ever had! I have made this before when I only had 8 tomatoes and I added 1/2 pint of home-canned tomato sauce to the mixture and it was just as good!! I have also substituted penne pasta for the ziti with great results! I also usually add a little more cheese - like using the entire 2 cups in the mixture and sprking additional cheese over the top! Tomato prep takes a bit of time but it is so worth it - the flavor is so superior to anything canned!!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 lbs roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (approximately 15)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces uncooked ziti pasta
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- In a dutch oven, brown the ground beef until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the prepped tomatoes, salt, basil and pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions; drain. Place in a 4 quart baking dish and stir in the sauce and 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350F for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer, or until heated through and cheese is melted and lightly browned.