I love macaroni and cheese. This version is terrific, with a crusty-cheesy layer on top and creamy-cheesy baked pasta in the middle.
- Melt butter over moderately-low heat, stir in flour and cook 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in hot milk.
- Return pan to heat, bring to a boil, whisking, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in nutmeg, ¾ tsp of salt and ¼ tsp of pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 cup of the Gruyere, ½ cup of the Fontina and ½ cup of the Parmesan; whisk cheese into the sauce, ½ cup at a time, until cheese is melted.
- Season to taste.
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees F.
- Boil ziti until al dente.
- Drain well and turn into a buttered 13 x 9 x 2 inch pyrex baking dish.
- Season with remaining ¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper.
- Pour sauce over and combine.
- Sprinkle remaining ½ cup Gruyere, ½ cup Parmesan, 1 ½ cups Fontina and all of the mozzarella.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until pale golden-brown.