Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love macaroni and cheese. This version is terrific, with a crusty-cheesy layer on top and creamy-cheesy baked pasta in the middle.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk, scalded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated gruyere cheese
- 2 cups grated fontina
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb ziti pasta or 1 lb penne
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Melt butter over moderately-low heat, stir in flour and cook 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in hot milk.
- Return pan to heat, bring to a boil, whisking, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in nutmeg, ¾ tsp of salt and ¼ tsp of pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 cup of the Gruyere, ½ cup of the Fontina and ½ cup of the Parmesan; whisk cheese into the sauce, ½ cup at a time, until cheese is melted.
- Season to taste.
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees F.
- Boil ziti until al dente.
- Drain well and turn into a buttered 13 x 9 x 2 inch pyrex baking dish.
- Season with remaining ¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper.
- Pour sauce over and combine.
- Sprinkle remaining ½ cup Gruyere, ½ cup Parmesan, 1 ½ cups Fontina and all of the mozzarella.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until pale golden-brown.
five star evelyn!! its soooo goooood!!!
I didn't love this like I thought I would. I thought it would have a really rich flavour with all of these sharper tasting cheeses, but I found it quite bland. It wasn't bad just not what I was hoping for.
I made this for my supper club and everyone including me loved it. I especailly loved the mixture of cheeses in the sauce. I'll definitely make this again. THanks for sharing