Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Simply put, Comfort Food!
- 1 lb ziti pasta
- 3⁄4 lb whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 lb italian fontina, coarsely grated
- 1⁄4 lb whole milk mozzarella, coarsely grated
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 quart tomato sauce (homemade is best)
- 2 cups bechamel sauce
Make the Bechamel
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Make the Bechamel:.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan – add flour and stir to blend. You are aiming for a white roux, so cook the butter/flour mixture only 2 minutes. Add the cold milk all at once and whisk to blend. Add salt. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until thickened. You can make this while the pasta is cooking.
- Assemble the dish:.
- Butter a glass casserole dish, approximately 13x10, and set aside. Cook the ziti in a large quantity of boiling salted water according to package directions or until it is done to your liking (al dente, hopefully). While the pasta is cooking, warm the tomato sauce and put it into a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients. When the pasta is cooked, drain well, add to the tomato sauce, add Bechamel, then add all the cheeses except Parmesan and mix vigorously until well combined. Pour into the buttered casserole, top with Parmesan, and bake 30-35 minutes until bubbly. Let sit five minutes before serving.