Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a recipe from Muir Glen Organic Tomatoes, but I know Hunt's has a fire roasted diced tomato product out too. My DH loves this--he requests it about once a month!
- 1⁄2 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canfire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces ziti pasta, cooked and drained
- 3⁄4 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- cooking spray
- Heat oven to 375.
- Spray 2 quart rectangular glass baking dish.
- In a 10 inch non stick skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat, stirring frequently,until cooked. Add zucchini, cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling.
- Toss with pasta. Spread in dish. Cover with foil; bake 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake uncovered, about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
This was a nice change from my usual Italian dishes. My husband and I really enjoyed the addition of the zucchini...the kids, not so much. ;) The only change I made was to use a full pound of ground beef and dried oregano. Next time, I plan on using only 8 oz. of tomato sauce and not drain the tomatoes. Thanks for posting!
This was really good! I made exactly as directed, including the Muir Glen brand tomatoes, but subbed a green pepper for the zucchini. I really loved the smokey taste of the tomatoes and it made the dish have that something extra. I can see making a ton of this in the crock and freezing it for quick dinners! Thanks!
This is a great recipe. My best friend and my wonderful boyfriend love it too. Instead of regular mozzarella I used smoked mozzarella. I also added a little basil to the tomato sauce for a little more flavor. This is a keeper!