Recipe by FloridaGrl
This is a recipe from Muir Glen Organic Tomatoes, but I know Hunt's has a fire roasted diced tomato product out too. My DH loves this--he requests it about once a month!
Top Review by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
This was a nice change from my usual Italian dishes. My husband and I really enjoyed the addition of the zucchini...the kids, not so much. ;) The only change I made was to use a full pound of ground beef and dried oregano. Next time, I plan on using only 8 oz. of tomato sauce and not drain the tomatoes. Thanks for posting!
- 1⁄2 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canfire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces ziti pasta, cooked and drained
- 3⁄4 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375.
- Spray 2 quart rectangular glass baking dish.
- In a 10 inch non stick skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat, stirring frequently,until cooked. Add zucchini, cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling.
- Toss with pasta. Spread in dish. Cover with foil; bake 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake uncovered, about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.