Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Most Baked Ziti recipes are red sauce based. This one is entirely different, but really easy! Posted for ZWT6.
- 1 lb ziti pasta
- 1 lb feta cheese
- 6 eggs, separated
- 4 cups milk
- 1 shallot, minced
- 6 tablespoons kefalotiri, grated (or parmesan)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Cook the ziti according to package directions. Drain well, then put in the prepared baking dish.
- Crumble the feta into small pieces.
- Beat the egg whites until frothy.
- Beat the egg yolks in a separate bowl.
- Folk the yolks gently into the whites; then add the milk, feta and shallot.
- Pour the egg mixture over the pasta, then top with the grated cheese.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until the top is golden brown and the sides are bubbly.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Souper easy to make. I did add a little kosher salt when I plated my serving. Thanks for posting. Made for team Soup-A-Stars during ZWT9 2013
Made this whole recipe & shared it with a couple of housebound neighbors who absolutely love mac & cheese ~ They really enjoyed this version, too, as did the 2 of us! Now that I have a supply of some 5 different Greek cheeses, I'll be going nuts with them, even after the tour is concluded! Thanks for a wonderful keeper recipe! [Made & reviewed while in Greece with ZWT6]
Excellent! It's like a Greek mac & cheese. Loved the creamy texture and the flavor of the feta cheese. I used half regular feta and half goat's milk feta. Oh, yummy! Thanx for posting; I'll be making this again!