Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 mins
In 'Williams-Sonoma One Pot of the Day'
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 1⁄4 cups milk, heated
- white pepper
- 6 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb ziti pasta
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
- In a small frying pan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Add the bread crumbs and stir and toss to coat evenly; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt the remaining butter over low heat.
- Add the flour and cook, whisking, until a smooth paste forms, about 4 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the hot milk and cook, stirring often, until the sauce is smooth and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 15 minutes.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grindings of pepper.
- Add the gruyere cheese and stir until melted, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the parmesan, remove from the heat, and cover to keep warm.
- Preheat the broiler; position a rack 8 inches from the heat source.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rapid boil.
- Add the pasta and cauliflower and stir well.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is al dente, according to package directions.
- Drain the pasta and cauliflower and return to the pot.
- Add the cheese sauce and toss to coat evenly.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a baking dish.
- Sprinkle with buttered bread crumbs.
- Broil until the surface is bubbling and golden, about 5 minutes, then serve.