Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I'm not a fan of green beans but I have to say that I, as well as the entire family, really enjoy this recipe. Recipe is from the American Heart Association No Fad Diet book and the recipe called for no salt tomatoes and tomato paste or other added salt. Original recipe also called for 1 TBLS bacon bits which I omitted. Nice casserole style comfort food dish that is healthy and doesn't need any else served with it except a nice salad.
- 4 ounces dried ziti pasta (about 1 cup)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup nonfat beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups frozen green beans, thawed (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup shredded fat free mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to pasta directions. Omit oil and salt if required for your dietary requirements.
- Cook beef in nonstick skillet until brown, breaking up the meat while cooking. Drain meat and run under hot water. Wipe skillet with paper towels and put beef back into skillet.
- Add onions to beef and cook until onions are soft about 3-4 minutes. Stir as needed.
- Stir in tomatoes (do not drain), broth, tomato paste, oregano and garlic. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix mixture with pasta and green beans and half of the cheese.
- Sprinkle top with remaining cheese and bake uncovered at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes.
- TO FREEZE: Undercook pasta slightly. Freeze fully assembled. Fully thaw dish and let come to almost room temp before putting in 350 oven. Cook until heated through.
- Serving is approx 1.5 cups.
This is a wonderfully average meal, a strong 3 stars. Don't get me wrong we liked it, but I would change a few things next time. I would make sure to season the meat first of all, salt and pepper. Maybe even add a little bit of pepper flakes. We think it could easy double the pasta for a full pound of beef. You could also leave it the way it is and use .5 to .75 pound of beef. I missed the part about thawing my green beans, and it did make it a little juicy in the end. I'll make sure to thaw them next time. I didn't have ziti, so I used whole wheat rotini, and it worked well. I did add extra garlic, because we like lots, and it still didn't taste like an over abundant amount. We will most definitely try this recipe again.
This had a really good taste. I followed the recipe except I used canned beans instead of frozen as my family doesn't like frozen veggies. Next time I make this I will not include the green beans at all. I didn't like them in this recipe but loved the taste of the rest of the meal. Made for Fall PAC 2007.
My family really enjoyed this. I didn't have ziti on hand, so I used fusilli.