Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Cheesy baked ziti with zesty italian sausage; a good easy meal on a weeknight.
- 2 lbs penne rigate or ziti pasta
- 2 lbs part-skim ricotta cheese
- 16 ounces Italian cheese blend or 16 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 4 -6 ounces grated parmesan cheese
- 7 garlic clove, minced
- 1 -2 lb Italian sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces (mild or spicy)
- olive oil
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano (or regular and you add the spices)
- 29 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 3⁄4-1 cup water
- salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder
- 1 can tomato soup, plus water (a can-full)
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, crushed and cored
- 1⁄2-1 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, sifted and mixed well with the can of water
- pre heat the oven to 375 and line 2 casserole dishes with foil. Set aside.
- Fry the garlic in a tbsp of oil until lightly colored, add the sausage and cook until brown. Meanwhile, cook the pasta accordingly (until al dente or just cooked); drain and run a bit of oil over it to keep from sticking. DO NOT RINSE.
- Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon (removing bits of garlic is fine too, as it is all going to the same place) and add all of the ingredients from section #3 to the hot pan. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Put the hot ziti and ricotta into a very large bowl and mix well with a lg. spoon (or go rambo-tough and just use your hands). Add the Sec #3 tomato sauce, the parmesean, and the sausage;mix well. Pour into the casserole dish/dishes going by one layer ziti-mix, one layer italian or mozzarella cheese (be sure to save enough to coat the tops of the pasta generously).
- Put into the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly, at 375.
- In the meantime, in the same pan as used for Sec#3 tomato sauce; add all of the ingredients from Sec#4 and bring to a boil, Pour over the baked ziti and serve warm with a side salad or garlic bread.