Recipe by Doug C
Absolutely LOVE Baked Ziti Pizza at the local pizza shops... Searched everywhere for a recipe, then decided to go out and make one on my own...
- 1 favorite pizza crust (14-in)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 lb ziti pasta
- 7 1⁄2 ounces ricotta cheese
- 7 -8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 550, or the highest your oven goes.
- Dump the can of tomatoes in a blender and pureed. I like to use Zesty Jalepeno, for a little kick!
- Add spices and bring to a simmer. Reduce to the consistency you prefer for your pizza.
- Cook ziti according to Package Directions.
- While the ziti is cooking, prepare your pizza crust on a peel or in a pizza pan, dusted with cornmeal.
- When ziti is done, drain well.
- Combine about 3/4 of the sauce with the ziti, ricotta, and about 3 oz of the mozzarella. It's best to do this while everything is hot, so the cheeses will melt together.
- Spread the mixture on the prepared dough.
- Cover that mixture with the rest of the sauce, and then cover that with the rest of the mozzarella.
- Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.
- Place pizza in oven and cook at 550 for about 10 minutes, until the bottom of the crust is browned, and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven, let cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting.