Sweet Diva's Note:
This is a casserole my family can't get enough of. It freezes and reheats well - a great make-ahead meal. I usually serve it with garlic bread and a salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ziti pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces ground chuck or 8 ounces ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, Shredded
- 1Cook ziti in a large pot of boiling water according to package directions. Drain and leave in a colander.
- 2Heat oil in same pot. Add ground beef and onions and cook over medium- high heat, breaking up beef with a wooden spoon, 4 minutes or until beef is no longer pink.
- 3Stir in tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook 12 minutes for flavor to develop. Stir in spinach and cook 3 minutes longer.
- 4Remove from heat.
- 5Heat oven to 375°F Have a 13x9-inch baking dish ready; spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- 6Stir cooked ziti and cottage cheese into spinach sauce until blended. Spoon into baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
- 7Bake 30 minutes, or until top is golden.
- 9The last time I made this, I had some leftover cheese sauce I needed to use up so I threw it in and it was great! Made a creamier casserole that I actually preferred, but since the rest of the family likes both versions equally, I'm just addding this as a note.
- 10Here's the cheese sauce if you're intereseted:.
- 112 Tablespoons butter.
- 122 Tablespoons all-purpose flour.
- 131 cup milk.
- 141/4 teaspoon salt.
- 151/8 teaspoon pepper (or to taste).
- 161 cup Cheddar cheese.
- 171/4 teaspoon dry mustard.
- 18Melt butter in heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt, cheese and dry mustard.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Ziti Florentine
Serving Size: 1 (647 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 866.1
- Calories from Fat 236
- Total Fat 26.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 90.6 mg
- Sodium 1411.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 50.3 g