Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got the basic recipe from the back of a spaghetti sauce can but have added ingredients that we like to make it special for our family's tastes. Sometimes, I take it to potlucks and come home with an empty dish! I always make a big pot of it when my son's friends are here and they eat it all! Growing boys...lol. Hope you like it too if you try it!
- 1 lb ground beef, cooked and drained (I use extra lean)
- 1 (20 ounce) canhunts four cheese pasta sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can hunts tomato paste
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 (12 ounce) package ziti pasta (I use Barilla brand)
- 16 ounces small curd cottage cheese (full fat variety not fat free or skim)
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese (not the kind in the green tube but the kind in the cheese section that you grate or comes grated in )
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 10 white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can black olives
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook and drain ground beef.
- Saute green pepper, onion, and mushrooms and add to ground beef.
- Add onion powder and garlic powder, oregano and 3 tablespoons of the tomato paste. Stir and set aside while you cook pasta.(al dente).
- Drain cooked pasta and set aside.
- Stir together the cottage cheese, sour cream.
- Slice the black olives and add to the cottage cheese mixture.
- Mix the spaghetti sauce and remaining tomato paste with the ziti.
- Spray 9x13 pan with non stick spray.
- Place half the noodles in the pan.
- Top with meat mixture and a layer of parmesan cheese.
- Top with the cottage cheese and sour cream mixture.
- Top with a layer of the Mozarella cheese.
- Top with the other half of the noodles and a final layer of parmesan cheese (the inside layers of cheese can be thin, just enough to add a cheesy layer).
- Bake uncovered 30 minute or until hot and bubbly and cheeses are melted.
We love ziti recipes & this one will be added to the collection. We also love garlic so we added in a couple cloves, however, we don't care for black olives so I sub'd pickled jalapenos instead. I found the dish abit on the creamy side so next time we'll cut the sour cream & cottage cheese, probably in half. Tasty recipe, thanks for sharing.