Recipe by breezermom
This is different from the other Baked Ziti's posted....it has no tomato sauce or tomatoes! I have to admit, I sometimes increase the sausage to 1 1/2 lbs, especially if I have a teenage boy eating!
Top Review by Lainey6605
I loved this recipe! I really love white sauces, so I knew this would be right up my alley. I did use 1 1/2 pounds of sausage for my family since I live with three guys with big appetites. :) It is delicious and I will make it again and again.
- 226.79 g ziti pasta, uncooked
- 453.59 g Italian sausage (mild or hot, your choice)
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 59.14 ml butter
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 473.18 ml milk
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese, grated and divided
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 453.59 g carton ricotta cheese (may use small-curd cottage cheese instead)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 14.79 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 4.92 ml salt
- 0.59 ml pepper
- 236.59 ml mozzarella cheese, shredded (4 oz)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the ziti according to the package directions. Drain well and set aside.
- Cook the sausage links in oil in a large skillet for 15 minutes or until browned over medium heat; reduce heat if necessary to keep them from burning. Drain well on paper towels. Slice the sausage diagonally and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add the flour, stirring until smooth. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add the milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Add the ziti; stir well, and set aside.
- Combine the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, ricotta (or cottage cheese), egg, parsley, 1 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper. Stir well.
- Place half of the macaroni mixture in a lightly greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish. Top with the ricotta cheese mixture and half of the sausage. Top with the remaining ziti mixture and sausages. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and paprika.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.