1/2 Photos of Baked Ziti and Italian Sausage
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 25 mins
This is different from the other Baked Ziti's posted....it has no tomato sauce or tomatoes! I have to admit, I sometimes increase the sausage to 1 1/2 lbs, especially if I have a teenage boy eating!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces ziti pasta, uncooked
- 1 lb Italian sausage (mild or hot, your choice)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated and divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) carton ricotta cheese (may use small-curd cottage cheese instead)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (4 oz)
- 1Cook the ziti according to the package directions. Drain well and set aside.
- 2Cook the sausage links in oil in a large skillet for 15 minutes or until browned over medium heat; reduce heat if necessary to keep them from burning. Drain well on paper towels. Slice the sausage diagonally and set aside.
- 3Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add the flour, stirring until smooth. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add the milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Add the ziti; stir well, and set aside.
- 4Combine the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, ricotta (or cottage cheese), egg, parsley, 1 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper. Stir well.
- 5Place half of the macaroni mixture in a lightly greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish. Top with the ricotta cheese mixture and half of the sausage. Top with the remaining ziti mixture and sausages. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and paprika.
- 6Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Ziti and Italian Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (248 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 616.3
- Calories from Fat 364
- Total Fat 40.5 g
- Saturated Fat 19.0 g
- Cholesterol 126.0 mg
- Sodium 1590.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 30.0 g