Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Baked Ziti from About.com
- 6 ounces ziti pasta
- 1 large egg
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil (optional)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 1⁄2 cups spaghetti sauce (homemade or from a jar)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions for "al dente." Drain.
- In a large bowl, beat egg. Add ricotta cheese garlic powder, basil and 1 cup of the mozzarella. Mix well.
- Add cooked pasta and 2 cups of the spaghetti sauce.
- Pour 1 cup of the spaghetti sauce in a 9 x 13 pan.
- Top with the ziti mixture. Top with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese over the sauce.
- Cover with foil, and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 10-20 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
- Let the baked ziti rest 10 minutes before serving.
This is a simple basic ziti recipe, the perfect jumping off place to add your own ingredients, and make it yours! I followed the recipe, as written, and we enjoyed a great baked ziti, one that I would be happy to share with a friend or neighbor. I think it would be wonderful with a meat sauce or even with some Italian sausage or pepperoni thrown in with the sauce. And an 8 portion recipe is perfect for us; 1 (X 2) serving, straight out of the oven...1 (X 2) serving, as leftovers, a couple of days later, and freezing the last 4 squares, as a 'Quick, what's for dinner?' night! Thanks for sharing, ilovecookingsomuch! Made for Spring PAC 11 - http://www.food.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=352458