Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Baked ziti with ground beef, green pepper, onion, tomatoes, basil, oregano, garlic powder, mozzarella cheese, and cooked ziti or macaroni.
- 1 lb lean ground beef (ground chuck or ground round)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped, about 1/2 cup
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried leaf basil, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces ziti pasta or 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Sauté ground beef, onion, and green bell pepper in a large skillet until onion is tender and beef is lightly browned.
- Drain off excess fat; add tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Stir well; stir in ziti or elbow macaroni and 1 cup of the cheese; transfer to a 2 1/2-quart casserole. Top with the remaining cup of cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.