40 hrs 20 mins
Chef #382418's Note:
This is a recipe of my sister-in-law's that I tweaked by adding a few more vegetables to the basic pasta/sauce/meat original. You can add extra cheese before or after baking, or substitute only mild or hot sausage to prepare to your personal tastes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ziti pasta or 1 lb penne
- 1/2 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning (or spice to taste)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Pam cooking spray
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Heat pot of water to boiling and prepare pasta to al dente directions.
- 3While water is heating, chop/dice the garlic, onion, and peppers.
- 4Heat olive oil in frying pan and saute chopped vegetables for 2-3 minutes.
- 5Add sausage to pan, breaking it up using a spatula or wooden spoon into bite-sized pieces and fully cook until no red/pink color remains.
- 6While sausage is cooking, in small pot, heat sauce and paste, stirring to combine.
- 7Add mushrooms and italian seasonings to tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
- 8Coat 9x13 baking pan with Pam or other cooking spray.
- 9Drain sausage mixture once cooked and combine with drained pasta, and tomato sauce mixture in 9x13 pan.
- 10Top with 1 cup shredded mozerella cheese.
- 11Bake for 30 minutes and serve.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Ziti
Serving Size: 1 (263 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 687.6
- Calories from Fat 258
- Total Fat 28.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 57.8 mg
- Sodium 1636.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 11.1 g
- Protein 31.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: