Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 hrs
This is a recipe of my sister-in-law's that I tweaked by adding a few more vegetables to the basic pasta/sauce/meat original. You can add extra cheese before or after baking, or substitute only mild or hot sausage to prepare to your personal tastes.
- 1 lb ziti pasta or 1 lb penne
- 1⁄2 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning (or spice to taste)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Pam cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat pot of water to boiling and prepare pasta to al dente directions.
- While water is heating, chop/dice the garlic, onion, and peppers.
- Heat olive oil in frying pan and saute chopped vegetables for 2-3 minutes.
- Add sausage to pan, breaking it up using a spatula or wooden spoon into bite-sized pieces and fully cook until no red/pink color remains.
- While sausage is cooking, in small pot, heat sauce and paste, stirring to combine.
- Add mushrooms and italian seasonings to tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Coat 9x13 baking pan with Pam or other cooking spray.
- Drain sausage mixture once cooked and combine with drained pasta, and tomato sauce mixture in 9x13 pan.
- Top with 1 cup shredded mozerella cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes and serve.