Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
I saw this recipe prepared recently on a local television news channel. It has simple ingredients and no ricotta cheese, which my DH does not like. So I thought I would save this recipe here to try later.
- 1 (16 ounce) box ziti pasta
- 3 (14 ounce) cans whole canned tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) package extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- Add ziti to boiling water and cook for 7 minutes.
- Drain in colander and rinse with cold water.
- Place 1/3 of the ziti in the bottom of a 10 inch casserole.
- Grate 1/3 of the cheddar and spread it over top of the ziti.
- Pour all three cans of tomatoes into a bowl, then crush about 1/3 of the tomatoes by hand and put on top the cheese.
- Spread 6-7 spoonfuls of the tomato juice over the entire first layer.
- Sprinkle salt to taste.
- Repeat the ziti, cheese, tomato, tomato juice, salt layering process two more times for a total of three layers.
- Bake covered in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 5 minutes.