1/1 Photo of Baked Ziti
1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Everyone has a baked ziti, but this one has been tweaked to be as Weight-Watchers points friendly as possible. It's not Core, unfortunately. (To much cheese)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (13 1/4 ounce) box whole wheat ziti
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 dash dried red pepper flakes
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or 1 lb turkey breast
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 pint skim milk ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded 2% mozzarella cheese
- 1Sautee onions in a spray of oil until translucent, add garlic and continue cooking.
- 2Add peppers and cook for about 5 minutes more, or until peppers start to get soft.
- 3Add turkey, basil, oregano, and pepper flakes, and begin cooking over medium heat.
- 4When turkey is cooked, remove from pan along with the veggies. Drain out the liquid at the bottom. Return the meat and veg back to the pan, add the tomatoes, crushed and the paste. Stir together and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, prepare pasta according to directions. Cook until very al dente. Set aside and allow to cool, spraying with olive oil and tossing to prevent sticking. You can also toss it with a little olive oil, if you don’t have a sprayer.
- 6Combine the sauce, ricotta and about 2/3 of the mozzarella cheese with the pasta and pour into a 9x13 baking dish that has been lined with foil Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- 7Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 40 minutes, or until bubbly. Remove the foil and bake another 15-20 minutes or until brown on top. If you can stand it, let it set for about 20 minutes more.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Ziti
Serving Size: 1 (320 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 389.5
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 63.7 mg
- Sodium 516.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 25.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
2% mozzarella cheese