These fries are definitely best eaten right out of the oven. As happens with many baked eggplant dishes, when the fries have a chance to cool fully, they can get a little limp and not nearly as delicious. Sprinkle flaky salt on them the moment they come out of the oven. You can also double the recipe for Lemon Tahini Sauce and spread it on sandwiches, fold a little into omelettes, or spoon it atop warm grain bowls. Store the sauce, covered, in the refrigerator and just thin it out with additional water if it settles or thickens. From the Kitchn.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the fries
- 1 large eggplant
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 177.44 ml panko breadcrumbs
- 44.37 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 59.14 ml za'atar spice mix, spice blend
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs
- flaky salt, to finish (like Maldon)
For the dip
- 1To make the eggplant fries, preheat the oven to 425°F Wedge a wire rack atop a baking sheet (so the fries will be slightly elevated and not directly touching the baking sheet).
- 2Cut the eggplant into 1/2-inch thick rounds. Then cut each round into 1/2-inch thick spears. Set aside.
- 3Pour the flour into a small bowl. Beat the eggs together in another small bowl. In a third small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, za'atar, salt and cayenne.
- 4Roll the eggplant spears in the flour, dunk them in the egg, and then roll them into the bread crumb mixture. Lay each spear close to one another on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden brown and crispy, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle the tops with flaky salt.
- 5While the fries are baking, combine all the ingredients for the dip except the water in a small bowl. To thin, add a drizzle of water and stir vigorously until you reach the desired consistency.
- 6Serve the fries with the dipping sauce while the fries are still hot.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Za'atar Eggplant Fries With Lemon Tahini Dip
Serving Size: 1 (256 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 403.8
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 97.8 mg
- Sodium 1101.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 16.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
za'atar spice mix
za'atar spice mix