Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This simple side side was served at a luncheon I attended years ago and I have made it several times since. Easy enough to make any time, elegant enough to serve at a dinner party!
- 1 yellow squash (cut in half)
- 1 teaspoon margarine or 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 small onions (sliced) or 1 large scallion (sliced)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Score squash halves deeply with knife but do not poke all the way through.
- Using a butter knife press margarine into the scores/cuts.
- Place pieces of onion on top.
- Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Place into oven at 350'.
- Bake for 25 minutes (check for doneness after 15 minutes to calculate correct cooking time).
- Open oven and cover squash with cheese.
- Continue to bake until cheese is bubbly and squash is baked to your preference (5-10 minutes).