Recipe by KittyKitty
I got this recipe from a Southern Living magazine. It is a great winter salad, you will probably want to wear latex gloves, because the beets will stain your hands.
- 2 medium red onions
- 2 beets, peeled
- 2 parsnips, peeled
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled & seeded
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 6 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped coarsely, and toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut first 4 ingredients into 1 inch cubes. Line 2 (13 x 9 inch) pans with aluminum foil.
- Toss together onions, beets, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in lined pan and set aside.
- Toss together parsnips, squash, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, remaining salt & pepper, and maple syrup in empty lined pan.
- Bake both pans of veggies at 350F for 45 minutes or until veggies are tender, shielding with aluminum foil, if necessary, to prevent any excessive browning.
- Combine all baked veggies. Add salad greens, and toss. Arrange on a serving platter, and sprinkle with walnuts. Serve immediately.