Recipe by Chef mariajane
If you are planning an elegant dinner in the near future, this recipe for baked wild BC salmon would be ideal. This recipe uses sockeye salmon, which is a popular choice for its rich flavor and deep-red firm flesh.
- 1⁄4 cup opal basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cup cinnamon basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cup globe basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cup fresh fennel, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- canola oil, for oiling pan
- 4 -6 lbs whole head-on wild b.c. sockeye salmon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, mix basil leaves, fennel and butter cubes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place sockeye salmon onto an oiled rimmed baking sheet.
- Stuff basil mixture into belly cavity of salmon and bake for 40 minutes or until firm to the touch and flesh is opaque and just beginning to flake.
- To serve, spoon additional stuffing onto each portion and drizzle with pan juices.
- NOTE: You can use one type of basil instead of the three different varieties.