Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Serve up a tasty vegetable side-dish with this flavourful recipe for slow-baked onions in a cheese sauce.
- 4 large onions, peeled and left whole
- 4 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 ounce butter
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 1⁄2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons coarse grain mustard
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Stud each onion with a clove. Put the onions into a lidded ovenware dish and add in the bay leaf. Pour over the milk and dot over the butter.
- Cover the onions and bake for 45 minutes or until the onions are tender, but not falling apart.
- Once cooked, remove the onions and keep warm. Keep the oven on at 350°F
- Transfer the milk to a saucepan and add the cream and flour. Stirring, gently bring to the boil and simmer until thickened.
- Add the cheese and mustard and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Return the onions to the ovenware dish, pour over the sauce and place in the oven for 10 minutes. Serve.