Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Top Baked fish with butter, lemon juice and perphaps sliced almonds.
Make and share this Baked Whole Fish recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs whole fish, with or without head
- 2 -3 slices lemons
- 2 -3 slices onions
- 2 -3 slices celery
- salt and pepper
- onion salt
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- bacon, strips
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- Soak the fish in cold, salted water for 15-30 minutes; drain and dry slightly.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Season cavity with lemon slices, celery, onion, salt, and pepper and 2 TBS lemon juice.
- Close the fish and place bacon strips on top or around fish.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, onion salt and remainder of lemon juice.
- Cover with pats of butter and bake until flesh is white and flakes apart with fork (about 30 minutes for a 2 1/2 pound fish or 40-45 minutes for a 3 pounder).
- the fish may be broiled at the end to brown the bacon.
- Cut into 1 1/2 inch wide sections and serve with lemon wedges.
- Serves 2-4, depending on size of fish.
- Note: Other vegetables such as potatoes and tomatoes may be cooked with the fish if desired.
I used one large sea bass in this delicious recipe and it made a lovely Sunday lunch for us. The onion and celery didn't get soft enough in the baking time required to cook the fish - and I wasn't sure if they were to be eaten with the fish or discarded. (I had minced the celery quite fine rather than sliced, cause I wasn't sure exactly what 2-3 slices of celery would be - minced a whole rib). I do like the flavour they imparted to the fish and so, next time, I will sweat them (the onion and celery) for a bit in some butter to speed up the cooking process, and then stuff the fish. I loved the flavour given by the bacon, too. Couldn't be simpler and really delicious!