Recipe by *OzMan*
Got this one from the newpaper and have made it a couple of times. Really good baked fish recipe and can you can use cod or halibut if whitefish is unavailable. :)
- 2 lbs skinless white fish fillets (can use halibut or cod)
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream (low fat, use 1/2 cup milk)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves or 1 -2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1⁄3 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 lb cooked shrimp
Directions See How It's Made
- In heavy pan, saute onion in butter& 3 Tbsp of white wine over medium heat, do not brown.
- Spread onion over bottom of a shallow baking dish.
- Arrange fish fillets over onion in dish overlapping thin edges.
- Sprinkle with S& P, and add garlic.
- Pour 1/3 cup of dry white wine (or lemon juice) over fish.
- Add whipping cream or milk and oregano.
- Cover with foil and bake at 425 degrees for about 10 minute.
- Uncover, add Cheddar, Parmesan and breadcrumbs.
- Distribute shrimp evenly over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, for another 10 minutes or until top is golden brown, cheese is melted and fish flakes easily.