Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Adapted from a recipe at Serious Eats. http://bit.ly/fDUjIQ
- 2 (15 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups bulgur wheat
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 large)
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2⁄3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly grease a 9x13 glass baking dish with olive oil.
- In a medium pot, bring broth and water to a simmer. Keep it simmering while other ingredients are prepared.
- To a large mixing bowl, add bulgur wheat, onion, sweet potatoes, parsley, Parmesan, and 1/3 cup almonds. Stir to combine. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and black pepper to taste. Stir to combine again.
- Pour wheat bulgur mixture into prepared baking dish. Pour heated broth over wheat bulgur mixture. Cover tightly with two layers tin foil. Bake 50 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining almonds, and bake an additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Let stand 10 minutes. Serve.