Recipe by evelyn/athens
These baked onions make for a deliciously different first course or a great side to a roast.
Top Review by Starrynews
Pretty dish! The onion came out nice and tender, and the flavors of the Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar helped to compliment the sweet onion. Thanks for sharing! Culinary Quest '14
- 4 vidalia onions, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- With a sharp knife, cut out a 1 inch in diameter by ¾ inch deep cavity in top of onions, reserving scraps.
- Season each onion.
- Combine butter, Worcestershire Sauce, cumin and sugar.
- Fill cavities of onion with the butter mixture.
- Arrange onions in baking dish, add broth, wine and scraps to dish and bake, basting occasionally, for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until very tender.
- Serve as a first course.