Recipe by Linda's Busy Kitchen
These tender, cheese-frosted globes of sweet onion dress up dinner the way a top hat crowns a formal suit. Its textural balance of silky-tender onion and crumbly cheese and croutons is sheer pleasure on the tongue. Compliments of the Blue Willow Inn.
Top Review by Catnip46
I didn't see anything about using the water in the directions so I forgot all about the water. My fault, should have rechecked ingredient list before baking. Also instead of using regular croutons I used garlic/butter flavor croutons. Onion was pretty dried so it wasn't that good eating. Next time regardless of adding water I'll cut the onions up then continue to bake as everything will be more evenly distributed resulting in better taste, flavor and evenly done.
- 6 vidalia onions, medium
- 1⁄2 cup crouton, crushed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Peel the onions and make two cuts diagonally across the top of each, cutting a little more than halfway down.
- Sprinkle the onions with croutons, salt, and pepper.
- Pour a small amount of butter over each onion, using all the butter.
- Bake uncovered 25-30 minutes (or in the microwave 12-15 minutes) until.
- Remove from the oven and top the onions with Cheddar cheese.
- Return to oven long enough to melt the cheese.