Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love spring rolls! I have great memories from during my teenage years when I'd get them at a restaurant in Woodburn, Oregon, for my lunches. This is one of my comfort foods. I'd rather bake them than fry them, any day. Here's the recipe I use. Don't be daunted by the large ingredient list... the items just make them that more tasty! :)
- 29.58 ml reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2.46 ml grated peeled gingerroot
- 2.46 ml packed light brown sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1 minced garlic clove, to taste
- 78.07 ml cooked rice noodles (also known as cellophane noodles, and I sometimes use more and pack 'em in!)
- 1 green onion, julienned (scallion)
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and julienned
- 1 green bell peppers (I prefer the yellow) or 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and julienned (I prefer the yellow)
- 59.14 ml finely shredded cabbage or 59.14 ml julienned cabbage
- 236.59 ml trimmed snow pea pods, julienned
- 236.59 ml bean sprouts
- 59.14 ml water chestnut, julienned
- 4 (28 inch) square egg roll wraps
- 9.85 ml olive oil or 9.85 ml vegetable oil
- 4.92 ml sesame oil or 4.92 ml toasted sesame oil
- hot Chinese mustard (and or or, not necessarily one or the other) or plum sauce, for garnish (and or or, not necessarily one or the other)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a cooking sheet with non-stick cooking spray, or line with parchment.
- In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, ginger, brown sugar, salt, and minced garlic. Add the rice noodles, green onion, carrot, bell peppers, cabbage, snow peas, bean sprouts, and water chestnuts; toss to coat. Place the egg roll wrappers on a clean dry work surface. Divide the mixture evenly among the wrappers; fold in the ends and roll up jelly roll fashion.
- Combine the olive or vegetable oil and sesame oil. Lightly brush each spring roll with oil mixture and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees F until the spring rolls are crisp on the bottoms; about 10 minutes; turn and bake until crisp all over, about 7 to 10 more minutes.
- Serve with mustard or plum sauce if desired. If you can't get egg roll wrappers, you can also use phyllo sheets.