Recipe by lindseylcw
Always looking for a new and interesting way with Aubergines, this looks good. From Nigel Slater's new book Tender.
- 4 large tomatoes
- 3 courgettes, cut into 1/4 lengthwise
- 2 green peppers, cored and thickly sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons harissa
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon raisins
For the Aubergine Cream
- 2 large aubergines
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 100 g creamy yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- First make the Aubergine cream by cutting the Aubergines in half lengthwise, score the flesh with several deep etches, then sprinkle generously with salt and set aside for 1/2 an hour, Wipe off the salt, place in a baking dish, pour over the olive oil and bake in a hot oven till thoroughly soft. You should be able to crush the flesh with a fork.
- Scrape the Aubergine flesh from the skin and mash with the yoghurt and enough olive oil to make a paste that is thick enough to trickle.Season with salt and pepper and add the chopped mint.
- Meanwhile put the vegetables in a roasting tin or baking dish, toss with olive il and a little salt and roast on high for a good 45 mins to an hour till tender. Towards the end of the cooking time gently stir in the cumin, harissa, pine nuts and raisins.
- Remove from oven and trickle over the Aubergine sauce.