Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Pudding for adults. These need to chill for 3 hours before serving.
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Kahlua
- 1⁄4 cup brewed espresso
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a saucepan, combine the cream, the seeds from the vanilla bean and a pinch of salt and bring to a simmer.
- In a bowl, whisk together the yolks and ½ cup of the sugar until the mixture is thick and pale and add the hot cream mixture in a thin stream, whisking constantly.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl, skim off the foam and divide among 6 buttered ramekins.
- Arrange ramekins in a baking dish with enough hot water to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake creams, covered loosely with foil, in the middle of the preheated oven for 1- 1 ¼ hours or until set.
- Let cool on a rack and chill the creams, covered, for atleast 3 hours or overnight.
- In a saucepan combine the remaining 2 cups sugar with 1 cup water.
- Bring to a boil and boil it, undisturbed until it is a deep caramel in colour.
- Remove from the heat.
- Pour 1 ¼ cups water carefully into the side of the pan in a stream, stirring, and stir in the Kahlua and espresso.
- Let the sauce cool and chill it, covered.
- Spoon some of the sauce onto each of 6 plates.
- Run a thin knife around the edges of the ramekins and unmold onto the plates.
- Spoon remaining sauce over creams.