Prep 5 mins
Cook 27 mins
- 5 (3/4 lb) trout
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 3 fresh lemons (or lemon concentrate)
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- To cook trout, wash and dry the fish inside and out and coat sides with a little olive oil.
- Slice mushrooms and place half in the bottom of a shallow baking dish.
- Salt and pepper fish, inside and out, to taste and place in dish on top of mushrooms.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over fish along with the minced parsley, chopped garlic and the green onion.
- If using fresh lemons, squeeze 1 or 2 directly over the entire trout including the inside.
- Meanwhile melt butter, add to olive oil and the juice of 2 lemons.
- Pour slowly over fish saving about half of the mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees or until they are tender and bread crumbs are light brown.
- Fish is done when the meat flakes easily when a fork is inserted into the flesh and lifted up slightly.
- Just before the fish are done, saute 1-2 minutes , the remaining mushrooms in the sauce that is left and pour over top after placing trout on a serving plate.
- Garnish with a few lemon wedges and a few sprigs of fresh parsley.
- Serve this Italian Trout recipe with rice, or Italian pasta, and a vegetable.
This was excellent. I followed the recipe exactly and the rainbow trout turned out so moist. The bread crumbs with the garlic and green onions has such great flavor. Even my picky husband loved it!
I used Artic Char and it was super, thanks
Great topping! I stuffed the trout with it as well, and didn't use the cream. The trout was rather bland, but I think that was the fish not the recipe - the topping made up for it!