Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From "Nancy Enright's Canadian Herb Cookbook" by Nancy Enright.
- 1 large fresh rainbow trout, head left on if desired (2-3 lb)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 lemon, cut in slices
- 4 fennel, sprigs up to 6 (the feathery fronds)
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut in small pieces
Meuniere butter with fennel
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 small lemon, juice of
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh fennel leaves
- Wash and clean trout thoroughly, scraping skin with a dull knife.
- Pat dry.
- Cut off fins with scissors or sharp knife and trim tails.
- Place trout in a greased oblong baking dish.
- Place half the lemon slices, half the fennel sprigs and some butter inside prepared trout.
- Add wine and top with remaining lemon slices, fennel sprigs and butter.
- Bake at 350F until fish flakes when tested with a fork (12 to 15 minutes, depending upon size of trout.)
- Baste periodically.
- Meanwhile, make meuniere butter:
- In a small, heavy saucepan, melt butter.
- Cook slowly over low heat, shaking pan vigorously, until butter is a light brown nut color.
- Add lemon juice, salt, pepper and chopped fennel and serve at once, poured over baked trout.