Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Recipe is originally from Aylmer's Tomatoes (back in the day when you snail-mailed to order a recipe book). Over the years I've tweaked the ingredients to our preference. I couldn't find this recipe on the web even so I'm posting to share with other Zaar members. The recipe doesn't call for garlic, however for those that enjoy it... mince away.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs hot Italian sausage, casings removed & crumbled
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in 1/2 lengthwise & sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 26 ounces tortellini, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- In a skillet, over medium heat, brown meat till cooked. Drain grease & set aside.
- In same skillet, saute onion & zucchini about 3 minute
- Stir in tomatoes & oregano; return meat into saucepan & bring to a boil.
- Pour over uncooked tortellini into large casserole (with cover). Sprinkle with 1/2 of the cheese.
- Bake, covered, for 10 minute
- Stir casserole, sprinkle remaining cheese & bake 10 min longer or until pasta is tender.
I love tortellini but this sat in my recipe book quite a while before I got around to making it. Wish I would have tried it sooner! This was great, I halved the recipe though and that filled a 9x13 pan. I used crushed tomatoes and used Italian seasoning instead of just oregano. This would be a great potluck dish.
I used chicken sausage to reduce the fat content and it was still loved by everyone from the age of 5 to 45... Yum.
Delicious! I also used Italian seasoning and used extra spicy sausage