Recipe by Mustang Sally 54269
Recipe is originally from Aylmer's Tomatoes (back in the day when you snail-mailed to order a recipe book). Over the years I've tweaked the ingredients to our preference. I couldn't find this recipe on the web even so I'm posting to share with other Zaar members. The recipe doesn't call for garlic, however for those that enjoy it... mince away.
Top Review by Zanni
I love tortellini but this sat in my recipe book quite a while before I got around to making it. Wish I would have tried it sooner! This was great, I halved the recipe though and that filled a 9x13 pan. I used crushed tomatoes and used Italian seasoning instead of just oregano. This would be a great potluck dish.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs hot Italian sausage, casings removed & crumbled
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in 1/2 lengthwise & sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 26 ounces tortellini, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- In a skillet, over medium heat, brown meat till cooked. Drain grease & set aside.
- In same skillet, saute onion & zucchini about 3 minute
- Stir in tomatoes & oregano; return meat into saucepan & bring to a boil.
- Pour over uncooked tortellini into large casserole (with cover). Sprinkle with 1/2 of the cheese.
- Bake, covered, for 10 minute
- Stir casserole, sprinkle remaining cheese & bake 10 min longer or until pasta is tender.