Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
For this baked tortellini casserole, I used one large skillet and one casserole pan. I made a quick basic meat sauce with onions, garlic, ground beef and canned tomatoes. But instead of simmering and reducing the sauce, I combined the cheese and fresh uncooked tortellini, and let the entire mixture bake in the oven. Just be sure to keep it tightly covered with foil so it stays moist. The foil keeps the moisture in and cooks the tortellini as it bakes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb 97% lean ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (24 ounce) packageof fresh cheese tortellini
- 3 cups freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- Sautee onions and garlic in olive oil, until soft.
- Add ground beef and season with salt and pepper.
- Once beef is cooked through, stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Stir in uncooked, fresh tortellini and 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese.
- Transfer to casserole dish and sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
- Cover tightly with foil and baked at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.