1/8 Photos of Baked Tortellini
You won't find red sauce in this dish, just cheesy goodness. If you feel like indulging just a bit give this a try. You can easily double this recipe and make one for today and an extra to pop in the freezer for a heat-and-eat meal someday in the future.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk, heated
- 1/2 cup grated Fontina cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb cheese tortellini (fresh or frozen, preferably low-fat)
- 1/4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Coat 6 individual gratin dishes or a 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish with cooking spray. Put a large pot of water on to boil for cooking pasta.
- 2Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- 3Add flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes. Add hot milk and bring to a simmer, whisking, until smooth and slightly thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add 1/4 cup fontina and nutmeg, stirring to melt the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4Meanwhile, cook tortellini until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse well.
- 5Combine the tortellini with the cheese sauce and toss. Transfer to the prepared dishes or baking dish. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup fontina. Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan and sprinkle evenly over the tortellini.
- 6Bake the tortellini until golden and bubbly, 15 to 25 minutes. Serve immediately.
- 7TO MAKE AHEAD:.
- 8Prepare through Step 4; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
- 9Thaw in the refrigerator before baking.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Tortellini
Serving Size: 1 (197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 364.9
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 48.7 mg
- Sodium 641.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 17.4 g