Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a wonderful breakfast dish, and pretty enough to serve to overnight guests. Serve it with toast and your favorite jam. It is really, reallly better when you have access to summer home-grown tomatoes.
- 4 tomatoes
- 8 slices bacon
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped or 1⁄2 teaspoon dry basil
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 ounces monterey jack cheese, cut into 2 x 1/4 inch thick slices
- Using a sharp knife, cut 1/2 inch top off the stem end of each tomato.
- Discard top end and scoop out pulp from tomato leaving a thick shell.
- Sprinkle inside of tomatoes with salt.
- Invert on a paper towel to drain for 15 minutes.
- Heat a heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon until crisp.
- Crumble and set aside.
- Whisk together next 4 ingredients with salt and pepper to taste in a bowl.
- Stir in bacon and set aside.
- Arrange tomatoes in a shallow baking pan.
- Place in oven and bake 5 minutes.
- Pour 1 Tbs.
- melted butter in each tomato.
- Fill tomato cavities with egg mixture.
- Top with strips of cheese and bake at 400°F.
- for about 10 minutes or until eggs are just set.
Another breakfast winner Miss Annie! This not only tasted good but was fun to make too. Lovely colours, a real hit with us.
YUM! I made this for myself for breakfast this morning-so I only made one serving. I wouldn't have changed anything, except that I was missing some of the ingredients, so I had to substitute. I used turkey bacon, whole grain mustard instead of dijon, and shredded cheddar cheese instead of the monterey jack strips. It still turned out amazing and it was very easy to make. I'll be making this again, for sure! Thanks!