Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
The tomatoes can be assembled ahead and baked just before serving.
Make and share this Baked Tomatoes Stuffed With Spinach and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 3 large firm tomatoes, washed & stems removed
- 8 ounces fresh spinach, washed well & drained
- 6 cups loosely packed broccoli, washed well & diced
- 3 1⁄2 ounces ground beef (3/8 cup)
- 1⁄4 onion, grated
- 1 garlic cloves, minced or 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup low fat cottage cheese, pureed in food processor
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons soft breadcrumbs
- Cut tomatoes in half horizontally; using a melon ball scooper, scoop pulp and seeds out of each half, leaving enough for a firm shell (discard pulp and seeds).
- Turn halves upside down to drain.
- Trim spinach and chop in food processor.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, brown ground beef with onion and garlic (5-10 minutes).
- Add the spinach and broccoli; cook, covered, for 8 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, cottage cheese, salt and pepper; cook for 5 more minutes.
- Generously stuff the tomato halves with the spinach mixture and place in a casserole dish.
- Top each tomato half with bread crumbs.
- Bake until tomatoes are soft and breadcrumbs are browned (10-15 minutes).