Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
The tomatoes can be assembled ahead and baked just before serving.
- 3 large firm tomatoes, washed & stems removed
- 8 ounces fresh spinach, washed well & drained
- 6 cups loosely packed broccoli, washed well & diced
- 3 1⁄2 ounces ground beef (3/8 cup)
- 1⁄4 onion, grated
- 1 garlic cloves, minced or 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup low fat cottage cheese, pureed in food processor
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons soft breadcrumbs
- Cut tomatoes in half horizontally; using a melon ball scooper, scoop pulp and seeds out of each half, leaving enough for a firm shell (discard pulp and seeds).
- Turn halves upside down to drain.
- Trim spinach and chop in food processor.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, brown ground beef with onion and garlic (5-10 minutes).
- Add the spinach and broccoli; cook, covered, for 8 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, cottage cheese, salt and pepper; cook for 5 more minutes.
- Generously stuff the tomato halves with the spinach mixture and place in a casserole dish.
- Top each tomato half with bread crumbs.
- Bake until tomatoes are soft and breadcrumbs are browned (10-15 minutes).