Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 6 large firm unpeeled tomatoes
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 -2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Using a paring knife, remove the stem end of each tomato. Using a grapefruit spoon, small melon baller or a teaspoon, carefully hollow out each tomato, removing seeds and juice.
- Sprinkle the inside of each tomato with a little salt and place the tomatoes upside down on a cooling rack to drain for about 15 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the potatoes, chives, thyme, pepper and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese.
- Fill tomato cups with the potato mixture using a teaspoon.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, remaining 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and paprika; sprinkle on top of each tomato.
- Place filled tomatoes in non-stick or well-oiled muffin cups. Bake 10 - 15 minutes until topping is crisp and tomatoes are heated through.