Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are great when you have an overabundance of tomatoes from your garden (they all seem to ripen at once!) Best if large beefsteak type tomatoes are used. Recipe can be doubled or even tripled.
- 2 large tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 9.85 ml minced onions
- 4.92 ml dried basil or 14.79 ml fresh basil
- 4.92 ml dill weed or 14.79 ml fresh dill
- 2.46 ml celery seed
- 59.14 ml dried breadcrumbs
- 9.85 ml butter or 9.85 ml margarine
- Remove stem ends from tomatoes without cutting flesh.
- Cut tomatoes in half horizontally.
- Set cut side up in a shallow baking dish or casserole.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, onion, herbs, toasted bread crumbs; dot with butter.
- Bake at 375°F for 15 minutes.
So good! Very fresh flavor. I used six tomatoes and adjusted the recipe accordingly. This was fantastic. I may mix some fresh parmesan cheese into the topping next time. Thanx!
Great taste! I think the celery salt gave it a nice flavor. I liked that this is different from my usual cheesy tomatoes. Thank you for a nice side dish! I should mention that I had huge tomatoes that I cut into thirds and it worked well.