Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter
- 5 lbs onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup minced garlic
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 32 fluid ounces low sodium beef broth
- 32 fluid ounces water
- 5 lbs tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup thyme leaves, chopped
- pepper, to taste
- Preheat a heavy soup pot over medium heat.
- Sauté onions and garlic until onions are just beginning to brown.
- Add mushrooms and continue cooking until the mushrooms are soft.
- Add beef stock and water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Add chopped tomatoes, thyme, salt and pepper, and simmer to allow flavours to develop.
- Ladle into oven-proof soup bowls, top with bread croutons and cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted.
- Serve at once.
- ***Recipecan easily be halved, and leftovers freeze extremely well.
This was excellent! Very easy to do. Rather than baking on a hot summer day, I used croutons for the bread, sprinkled my cheese, and microwaved it for 2 minutes. In the winter, when homegrown tomatoes aren't plentiful, I'm going to use a brand of canned tomatoes that's very low in sodium, Del Frittata (sp?). This is a great recipe for healthy eaters! Thanks.
Excellent! Perfect for a cold day. The melted cheese is awesome. I don't have oven proof bowls so I toasted some bread and buttered it, sprinkled on some garlic salt then threw it in the broiler with some mozzarella. It worked great. The only changes I made was cutting back on the onions and I de-glazed the pot with some white wine before adding the liquid. Mmmmm. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.