Recipe by Lorac
So delicious and colorful you could serve this as a main dish using large beefsteak tomatoes with double or triple filling. Your dinner guests will think they have died and gone to heaven!
Top Review by Cindy Lynn
I've seen a couple mentions of people trying this recipe and they just raved and then I really wanted to try it. I thought our tomatoes were done for the season and that I'd have to buy tomatoes to make it...in fact, I asked Lorac about a method she uses to improve store bought tomatoes (over in the message and thank you board) thinking I would have to try this recipe with them. Not so...DH and I went for a walk in the yard a couple days ago and found we have a few really nice sized tomatoes that frost hasn't gotten yet and they were ripe! since they were larger than medium size, I used 3 and kept the rest of the recipe measurements the same. I didn't have fresh spinach, but found in a substitutions resource that beet greens can be substituted, so I headed back out to the garden and collected some of them. This was absolutely delicious. I shortened the baking time by about 5 minutes and the tomatoes were warmed and just slightly softened, but not cooked through. This tasted like we were eating a BLT without the bread...yummy. DH and I each had one and I packed the other in a lunch tray to send over to my MIL (She's 73, and a widow, so anything that I feel will reheat well, I use to make TV dinners for her to throw in the microwave).
- 4 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 (10 ounce) bagpre-washed fresh spinach, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 dashes hot sauce
- 6 medium ripe tomatoes (about 2 lbs.)
- 1⁄2 cup grated swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon until crisp, drain and crumble.
- Sauté onion in 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings until transparent.
- Add spinach, and cook until wilted.
- Stir in bacon, sour cream, and hot sauce,and remove from heat.
- Slice off tomato tops and remove centers.
- Salt insides lightly and fill with spinach mixture.
- Top with cheese and place in a shallow baking dish.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20 minutes.