Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These make a perfect side to chicken, beef, seafood, anything Italian, or a rustic soup. Super easy to assemble, it just takes a bit of time to bake. Use any type of tomato you have on hand. Make as many servings as you like depending on size of the tomatoes. I serve 1/2 of a large tomato or several smaller halves per person. Adjust seasonings based on the size and amounts used. I basically just dust the tomatoes with the garlic powder, salt and pepper. Enjoy! 10/09 EDIT to add. Baking time can be done at any oven temperature, adjust bake time accordingly.
- Preheat oven to 350 - 400°.
- Prepare a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut tomatoes in half. Gently scoop out any seeds (optional), leaving the sections/ walls in tact.
- Lightly sprinkle on the garlic powder, salt and pepper. Amount to your liking.
- Sprinkle on the seasoned bread crumbs, drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until the tomato is collapsing and soft. Baking time will depend on the size of your tomato halves. If making smaller tomatoes, shorten the time.
- EDIT to add: You may wish to watch closely and remove while they are still semi-soft and before they begin to collapse.
we really enjoyed this tonight, I have huge meaty tomatoes leftover from my garden and this was a wonderful way to enjoy them, I used my Kittencal's Seasoned Dry Italian Breadcrumbs and omitted the sea salt, also I drizzled them with just a little bit more oil, thank you for sharing Chicagoland!