I've made these a few times now, with different seasonings, and I think I have the technique down perfectly. The key is to freeze and thaw your tofu before you use it-- this gives it chewiness. I actually freeze all my tofu because I like it this way in all my recipes. For this, I have used poultry seasoning, sazon, Cajun spice blend.. all with good results. Be gentle if you add extra salt, as many seasoning mixes are very salty on their own. Cooking time doesn't include freezing, thawing, or marinating time.
- Slice the tofu into bite sized pieces or larger if you prefer.
- Combine yogurt and poultry seasoning (or whichever other seasonings you are using).
- Place tofu and yogurt mixture into a ziploc bag and allow to marinate several hours or overnight.
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal and starch- You may add additional seasonings to this mixture as well.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a cookie sheet with PAM.
- Dredge the marinate tofu in the cornmeal mixture to coat, and lay on the cookie sheet, leaving room between each piece.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes, turning once, until browned.
- Serve with your choice of dipping sauce (I like BBQ sauce myself).