Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From the American Tilapia Association
Make and share this Baked Tilapia recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs tilapia fillets
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Saute the celery, onions and bell pepper in butter until the vegetables soften.
- Add flour, salt, pepper, tarragon, basil, and milk, stirring until blended.
- Cook sauce until it thickens, stirring constantly.
- Lower the heat and add cheese, stirring until the cheese just melts. Do NOT boil the cheese or it will get stringy.
- Rinse the tilapia fillets in cold salted water, then drain and pat dry.
- Arrange the fish in a single layer in an oblong baking dish.
- Spoon the sauce over all.
- Bake at 425ºF for 8 to 10 minutes or until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
Very tasty. I did not have any red bell pepper on hand so I used a bit of jarred pimento instead. Also, I used half oregano and half rosemary instead of tarragon. It turned out great! Will definitely make this again.
Sure to be in my Top 20 for 2009! The sauce was very thick, but I let is completely cover the top of my filets; the fish stayed very moist. The little bit of celery, onion and sweet red bell pepper set this off perfectly. DH was planning which fish he would use this method next! Thanks for posting this recipe, Sue L! Made for Spring 2009 Pick A Chef.
Very tastey, loved the sauce, but found I had to dilute it with a little more milk, it was quite thick, next time I will use less flour. I had to use dried tarragon and basil, had no fresh around and I used light Havarti cheese, worked lovely!! I will be making this again , thanks for posting.