Vegetarian Network Austin's Note:
This recipe was brought to a potluck by our President, Ken Jaffe, at his home in 2007. It was requested to be added to our cookbook here. He adapted the recipe from Some Like It Hot: 200 Spicy Vegetarian Recipes from Around the World by Robin Robertson. NOTE: One of our members made the recipe as it was posted originally and when it didn't turn out as she remembered, contacted Ken, who said "when it comes to spices, I never follow a recipe exactly." Since then, attempts have been made to document what Ken changed about it and they are reflected here now.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- 1/2 cup onion (minced)
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup water
- 16 ounces hot salsa
- 12 ounces tofu sour cream
- 3 cups tempeh (chopped and poached for 5 minutes)
- 8 small whole wheat tortillas (8-inch)
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Coat a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with nonstick vegetable spray.
- 3Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- 4Poach tempeh for 5 minutes (from Vegetarian Times: Before using tempeh in recipes, you can briefly poach it in water to make it more digestible and mellow out the flavor).
- 5Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic to saucepan.
- 6Cover and cook 5 minutes or until softened.
- 7Stir in chili powder, cayenne, water, and salsa, and cook, stirring, until sightly thickened.
- 8Remove from heat and add tofu sour cream.
- 9Combine 2 cups sauce and tempeh.
- 10Spoon a rounded 1/3 cup tempeh mixture onto each tortilla and roll up.
- 11Arrange the tortillas in a prepared dish, top with remaining sauce, cover, and bake 30 minutes.
- 12Uncover and bake 5 minutes longer until browned and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Tempeh Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tempeh Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Tempeh Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.6
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 363.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 12.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
tofu sour cream
whole wheat tortillas