Recipe by Vegetarian Network Austin
This recipe was brought to a potluck by our President, Ken Jaffe, at his home in 2007. It was requested to be added to our cookbook here. He adapted the recipe from Some Like It Hot: 200 Spicy Vegetarian Recipes from Around the World by Robin Robertson. NOTE: One of our members made the recipe as it was posted originally and when it didn't turn out as she remembered, contacted Ken, who said "when it comes to spices, I never follow a recipe exactly." Since then, attempts have been made to document what Ken changed about it and they are reflected here now.
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion (minced)
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 16 ounces hot salsa
- 12 ounces tofu sour cream
- 3 cups tempeh (chopped and poached for 5 minutes)
- 8 small whole wheat tortillas (8-inch)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Coat a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with nonstick vegetable spray.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Poach tempeh for 5 minutes (from Vegetarian Times: Before using tempeh in recipes, you can briefly poach it in water to make it more digestible and mellow out the flavor).
- Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic to saucepan.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in chili powder, cayenne, water, and salsa, and cook, stirring, until sightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and add tofu sour cream.
- Combine 2 cups sauce and tempeh.
- Spoon a rounded 1/3 cup tempeh mixture onto each tortilla and roll up.
- Arrange the tortillas in a prepared dish, top with remaining sauce, cover, and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 5 minutes longer until browned and bubbly.