Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an adaptation of the soup that the restaurant in my building makes...and the SA's have been wanting me to post it, so here we go..I must warn though -- this is not a measured thing when I make it, so adjust amounts to your taste and have fun!
- Cook onion til nearly carmelized Bake taters until tender.
- Cool onion and taters, mash or run through food processor- I use the processor
- Melt butter Whisk in flour and cook over med heat
- Heat milk in separate pan then slowly stir warm milk into flour mixture, whisking
- Heat through over medium burner but do not boil.
- Add tater/onion mixture, grated cheese, and sour cream.
- Start adding broth until you get the consistency you like Heat until cheese is melted and potatoes are warmed through.
- Stir in bacon garnish with a bit more sour cream and some shredded cheese.
We had this for dinner last night. This does taste exactly like a baked potato. I think my potatoes were too big, I had to add 8 cups of broth to have a soup consistency. I was a little worried because at first it was like mashed potatoes. No worries with enough broth added it was perfect. Thanks for a unique potato soup recipe, Kirstin!
This soup is AWESOME. It's soooo creamy and delicious - the sour cream is a wonderful addition. I only had 1/2 cup of butter, so I used less butter, a bit of half & half mixed in with the milk, 2.5 cups of chicken stock, and low-fat sour cream. I had baked the potatoes a few days in advance, so without that prep work, this soup came together really quickly! I used 4 potatoes, and this made a huge pot-ful! Good thing DH loved it, too, b/c we'll be eating on it a few days. ;)
THE BEST potato soup, I've EVER HAD. This stuff is amazing. I baked my potatoes in advance as well, and also ran them through the processsor skins and all. Rich and creamy and the flavors blended so well. I served with a salad and roast beef sammichs on sourdough bread, and my guests thought it was just wonderful. Definate keeper recipe.